Physical activity does not need to make you gasp for breath and drip with sweat to count toward your daily fitness goal. Experts say that walking is one of the best things you can do for your health.
Don’t Sweat It. (Unless You Want To.)
How to get the most from walking:
- Use a pedometer. Start with a goal and challenge yourself to keep adding steps to your day. Make it a game to see if you can meet or beat your daily steps goal. Or challenge a friend to see who walks the most in a day.
- Get a walking partner. Having a partner will get you to lace up your shoes, even on the days you don’t feel like it.
- Take a 10-minute walk. Going on 3 walks that are 10 minutes each can be just as helpful as one 30-minute walk. Try splitting up your day with walk breaks. It can help boost your mood, too!
- Walk and talk. Walk with your child or spouse and talk about your day and things that matter to you. Call a family member or friend while you take an evening walk.
- Walk Across Texas. Walk Across Texas is a free, 8-week program designed to help Texans get in the habit of regular physical activity. Check out the Walk Across Texas website for more information about this fun fitness challenge.
Count Your Steps
There are many free pedometer (step counting) apps you can download if you have a smartphone. Here are a few:
Take A Walk
See how just 30 minutes a day can make a big difference.
“At my job, we started having walking meetings. Instead of sitting around a table, we go walk around the neighborhood. It makes meetings go faster and we all get some exercise.” –Christina