Need Healthy Snack Ideas?
If you have healthy snacks ready to go it will be easier to skip the vending machine or corner store. You’ll save money and calories! Make sure your snack includes a balance of protein and carbohydrates. The next time a craving hits, try one of these:
- Apples and peanut butter
- Cheese and crackers
- Veggies and hummus
- Peanut butter and crackers
- Frozen grapes
- Apple slices
- Raw almonds or walnuts
- Garbanzo beans, drained and eaten straight from the can
- Baked plantain chips
- Fruit or veggie slices with chili powder and lime
- Bell pepper or jicama sticks with salsa
- Turkey cubes
- Hard-boiled eggs
Got a Sweet Tooth?
Everyone needs a sweet treat every now and then. Try these options without the extra sugar or fat.
- Fruit smoothie made with nonfat plain yogurt or milk
- Dried fruit
- Fruit cobbler with no added sugar and a light crust
- Banana pudding made with fat-free pudding and milk
- Sweet potato pie with no added sugar
- Plain dark chocolate
- Fresh, canned, and frozen fruit dipped in vanilla yogurt
|Lemon in water (or other fruit) or low-sugar aguas frescas||Soda|
|Fruit ice or popsicles||Ice cream|
|Strawberries or mangos||Pastries|
|Vanilla yogurt||Whipped cream|
|Skim milk in coffee||Lattes or frozen blended coffee drinks|
Try these tips when eating out.
- Look at the menu online before you go to make sure they serve healthy options.
- Drink water with lemon. It is free, has no calories, and can help you feel full.
- Order fat-free or low-fat milk, unsweetened tea, or other drinks without added sugars.
- Ask for whole wheat bread or skip the bread.
- Start your meal with a salad to control hunger and help you feel full sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing on the side. Just dip your fork in instead of pouring it on.
- Choose main dishes that include vegetables such as stir fries or kebobs.
- Not sure what to get? Look for these:
- A salad with grilled chicken and low-fat salad dressing (on the side)
- Grilled fish or steak tacos on corn tortillas (no cheese or sour cream)
- Whole beans and brown rice
- Watch how much you eat. Control the amount by:
- Sharing a meal
- Ordering an appetizer for your main dish
- Ordering from the kid’s menu
- Asking for a to-go box as soon as your meal comes so you can take half home
“When we eat out, we do our best to order things that are not too bad. I get a hamburger without the bun and wrap it in lettuce. Or I order it without cheese. And we don’t order fries, which also saves money.” –Carol
Healthy Resturant Choices
|Steamed, grilled, or broiled||Fried or sautéed|
|Small or medium-size portions and drinks||Large portions and drinks|
|Side salad or fruit||French fries|
|Healthy appetizer||Regular entrée|
|Brown rice||White rice|
|Veggie side dish||Bread or starchy side dish|
|Whole beans||Refried beans|
|One dish from the menu||The all-you-can-eat buffet|
|Small hamburger||Double cheeseburger|
|Grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo)||Fried chicken sandwich|
|Hot sauce on potatoes and salads||Butter or salad dressing|
Watch out for high-calorie additions on salads and meals. It’s better to skip them, or order these items on the side so you can control how much you eat:
- Salad dressing
- Bacon or bacon bits
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Creamy sauces or gravies
“When my husband and I go out to dinner, we usually split an appetizer and an entrée. It helps us save money and eat less.” –Kate
Eating out the Healthy Way
Tips and tricks for choosing healthy restaurant meals.