Black Beans and Rice
1 pound dry black beans
7 cups water
1 chopped medium green pepper
1-1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
6 cups cooked rice (in unsalted water)
1 jar (4 ounces) sliced pimento, drained
- Remove bad beans and soak overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In large soup pot add beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
- Reduce heat, cover with lid and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until beans are soft. Stir and add water as needed.
- Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat.
- Remove bay leaves and add vinegar or lemon juice when ready to eat.
- Serve over rice. Add sliced pimento and lemon wedges.