Chicarron de Avena
1 cup rolled old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or olive oil)
4 ripe tomatoes or 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.) without salt added
1 carrot, chopped
½ onion, chopped
1 garlic, chopped
cumin, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
cilantro, to taste
- Put the oil, onions and garlic in a medium skillet, season with salt, and cook over medium to medium-low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots, stirring every few minutes until tender – about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the oats.
- Using a blender, mix the tomatoes and a small piece of onion until smooth.
- Add the sauce into the skillet.
- Add salt and cumin and cook for another 10 minutes.
- You can spoon chicharron onto tortillas and put chopped cilantro on top.