Chicken Rice Bake
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
4 chicken thighs, skin and fat removed
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup long grain white rice
2¼ cups low sodium chicken broth, heated until boiling
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium zucchini or summer squash, chopped
2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
1 can (about 15 ounces) green peas, drained
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Lightly brown on all sides. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Combine rice, broth and oregano (if desired), in a 2 quart casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken. Cover tightly. Bake 20 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, spinach and corn. Cover and bake 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. If liquid is absorbed before rice is tender, add additional broth or water as needed.
- Serve warm.