Chicken Strips with Quinoa Bread Crumbs
Kids will love these, and they’re not even fried!
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
For the quinoa bread crumbs:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bring quinoa, water, and vegetable stock to a boil in a saucepan.
- Once the mixture boils, turn off the heat and cover the pot until the quinoa is done (about 15-20 minutes). The grains will be slightly see-through, the tails should be showing, and there will be no more water in the pan.
- Add the spices.
- Spread the quinoa in a thin layer on sheet pans and place into the oven. Every 5 minutes, stir with a spatula. Keep baking until the quinoa is completely dry. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Place the dry quinoa and bread into a food processor. Pulse it a few times to break the mixture into medium-size grains. Do not over-blend.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
For the chicken:
- Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breast into strips. Try to keep the pieces the same size.
- Cover the pieces in the quinoa/bread crumb mixture. Place on sheet pans lined with foil.
- Cook at 400 degrees F for 11 minutes.
Prep and cook time:
Cook Time 30 min.
Amount per serving: 260 calories, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fat: 5g, Protein: 35g, Dietary fiber: 3g, Serving size: 1 chicken breast