- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, coarsely chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir well.
- In another bowl, mix buttermilk, margarine, egg, and vanilla. Pour this into the dry ingredients (made in step 2).
- Using a large spoon, gently stir ingredients just until moist (do not over-mix). Add fruit and stir gently (do not over-mix).
- Spoon batter evenly into 9 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold. Muffins may be frozen for later use.
Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 20-25 min.
Amount per serving: 130 calories; Carbohydrate: 22g; Fat: 4g; Protein: 3g; Dietary fiber: 1g
Contributed by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service