1 pound (93%) lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
½ cup carrots, shredded
10 ounces corn, frozen
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes and green chiles
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 cups whole grain elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- Cook ground beef and drain off any fat. Set beef aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and corn and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add carrots to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add beef, cooked macaroni, tomatoes and green chiles, and tomato sauce to the cooked vegetables.
- Simmer about 15-20 minutes.
Prep time: 8 min. Cook time: 22 min.
Amount per serving: 380 calories; Carbohydrate: 50g; Fat: 9g; Protein: 31g; Dietary fiber: 8g
Contributed by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service