- 1 package pasta, whole wheat (16 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubes (or 3 chicken sausages, chopped)
- 6 cups spinach, chopped (or 1 bunch Swiss chard)
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained (15.5 ounces; can also use great Northern or cannellini beans)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box and drain when done.
- Put the vegetable oil and onion in a large pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in chopped chicken and cook until heated through.
- Add spinach (or chard), beans, chicken or vegetable stock, and spices.
- Add in cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until pasta is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional), and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese before serving (optional).
Cook time 20 min.
Amount per serving: Carbohydrate: 70g, Fat: 6g, Protein: 33g, Dietary fiber: 10g
University of Maryland Extension