Sauteed Okra with Onions and Tomatoes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound okra, trim ends and rinse, cut into 1⁄2-inch thick slices or 1 (16-ounce) package frozen okra
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon Soulful Seasoning (recipe below)
1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown onion until soft about 3 minutes.
- Add other items and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir often. Okra should be soft but not mushy.
- Serve 1 cup of okra over 1⁄2 cup of brown rice.
Soulful Seasoning Ingredients
3 tablespoons onion powder
4 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground thyme
- Mix everything together to make 3⁄4 cup seasoning.
- Store in sealed container and use instead of seasoning salts.