Sloppy Garden Joes
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken
1 - 8 ounce can unsalted tomato sauce
1 - 15 ounce can unsalted whole tomatoes, crushed
1 - 8 ounce can mushrooms
¼ cup barbecue sauce
pepper to taste
8 whole wheat buns
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper, and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve on toasted or plain buns.