1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken
1 - 8 ounce can unsalted tomato sauce
1 - 15 ounce can unsalted whole tomatoes, crushed
1 - 8 ounce can mushrooms
¼ cup barbecue sauce
pepper to taste
8 whole wheat buns
- Wash hands with warm water and soap. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Sauté onions, carrot, green pepper, and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
- Serve on toasted or plain buns.
Calories, 227; carbohydrate, 33 g; protein, 20 g; total fat, 3 g; saturated fat, 0 g; trans fat, 0 g; cholesterol, 23 mg; fiber, 5 g; total sugars, 10 g; sodium, 434 mg; calcium, 60 mg; folate, 18 mcg; iron, 2 mg; percent calories from fat, 11%.
Recipe provided by: Arizona Nutrition Network (used with permission from Public Health Seattle & King County).