1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
¼ cup flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 ½ pounds chicken breast, skinless and boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup cubed white potatoes
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
¼ cup chopped celery
½ medium carrot, grated
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons hot (or jalapeño) pepper
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Heat pot over medium heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook and stir until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly add broth using a wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add everything else. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.