Crafty Mac ‘N Cheese
Kids (and adults!) will love this healthy spin on the classic mac ‘n cheese recipe.
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ⅓ cup nonfat milk
- 2 cups dry whole wheat elbow pasta
- ¾ cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the cauliflower and carrots in boiling water and cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain the water and allow the vegetables to cool. Then combine the cauliflower and carrots in food processor with the milk and blend until it makes a puree.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and then drain the water, saving ½ cup of water to use later.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the pureed veggie mix with ½ cup pasta water and cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the cooked elbow pasta into the pan with the sauce and stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve!
Prep and cook time:
Cook Time 20 min.
Amount per serving: 303 calories, Carbohydrate: 52g, Fat: 5g, Protein: 16g, Dietary fiber: 3g, Serving size: 1 ½ cups